Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sleep? What's that?

Today my daughter is seven weeks old. It's hard to believe that seven weeks ago I was in a hospital room sleeping. I think that was the last time I actually got a decent night's sleep.

Everyone always asks me if Elizabeth is sleeping through the night yet. That's a hard question to answer. She has slept for long stretches since we brought her home. The first night I had my husband wake her up because she hadn't fed in close to four hours. Big mistake!!! She screamed for the next four hours. I learned then, don't wake a sleeping baby.

So, fast forward to now. She'll sleep for long stretches but, for the most part, she likes to sleep from about midnight to 4am. She'll go longer if she's in her bouncer and we're bouncing her. But, is that really sleeping through the night? I'll tell you what, after an hour or two of bouncing her, my foot gets tired!

I think I'm going to try to find some counter space in this tiny apartment kitchen we're in and buy a coffee maker. I go back to work in just over a week and there's no way I can teach a bunch of third graders with two hours of sleep a night. I'll be lucky to find my classroom like this.

Oh! It's 11:18 and my husband just put Elizabeth in her crib. Cross your fingers. Maybe I'll get to sleep for a few hours. Ahhh...to dream.

No comments: